Step By Step Guide To Error 0xc0000005 Fix
If you are attempting to run an application on your Windows PC or are trying to upgrade your copy of Windows, you may inadvertently see Error code 0xc0000005 pop up on your screen. What does it mean? This error code commonly occurs when there is an access code violation or if there is an incompatibility between the hardware and the software that is being installed on it.
Causes of the occurrence of 0xc0000005 are as follows:
- The memory of the computer is low or damaged
- The system is infected by a virus, malware, and spyware
- Improper system hardware configuration
- Data Execution Security Feature
- Error appearance due to corrupted files
You can easily Fix error code 0xc0000005 by yourself by following the details steps below. If you are still facing this error despite trying out the various methods we have listed below.
Method 1: Check for viruses or malware
The first thing to do when you encounter Error 0xc0000005 is to run a full system scan using a trusted antivirus program. A malicious program can trigger an access violation by attempting to access files that it should not be privy to. By running a full system scan, you will be able to remove or quarantine a harmful program.
Method 2: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Windows Update Troubleshooter is used to help detect any errors with running a Windows update. You can run the Windows Update troubleshooter by following the steps below:
- Click the Windows button on the taskbar and click the Settings icon to open the Control Panel.
- Use the Search option in the Control Panel to enter the word Troubleshoot.
- From the search results, select the Troubleshoot option that lets you navigate to Windows Update.
- Choose the button to Run the troubleshooter. You can run this as administrator by entering your credentials when you are prompted.
- Follow the onscreen directions to complete troubleshooting the Windows Update feature.
Method 3: Check system files
The system file checker tool can help detect any system errors and allow you to continue using your computer normally. It is recommended that you check your system files in case you see error code 0xc0000005 pop up on your system.
- Right click on the Windows or Start button then search and choose Run.
- Type cmd into the Run dialog box to launch Command Prompt. It is important to run this as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type sfc /scannow and click the Enter key.
- The entire system will now be scanned by windows to detect for any errors in the system files.
Method 4: Disable DEP
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a Windows tool that prevents the misuse of your PC by viruses or other security threats. A recently installed program may be triggering DEP to run, so you will need to track it down and disable DEP for that program. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Use an administrator’s credentials to log onto Windows.
- Press Win+R to open the Run dialog box.
- Enter sysdm.cpl into the Run dialog box and click OK.
- In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab and choose the Settings button.
- On the Data Execution Prevention tab, select the radio button to Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- Now, click the Add button.
- Choose any .exe files that you have recently installed which may be triggering the error and then click OK.
Method 5: Fix errors in the registry.
If Error code 0xc0000005 still persists after trying all the methods above, it can be disabled using the registry editor.
- Click Win + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type in regedit and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, look for the OSUpgrade key located at the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade
- Right click on the OSUpgrade key and choose New.
- Select DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Right click the new value and choose Modify.
- Rename the value to AllowOSUpgrade.
- Double click it and type 1.
- Choose Hexadecimal and click OK.
- Now, reboot the computer and try running Windows Update once more.
Method 6: Perform system restore
System restore can restore the system to the last known best configuration so that normal functioning can be restored. This solution will not correct errors that are caused by missing files or removal of a vital program.
- Click the Start or Windows button to view the Start menu.
- Go to Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools and choose System Restore.
- On the Welcome to System Restore page, choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, then click Next.
- Select the last date and time at which your computer was functioning without displaying this error, then click Next.
- On Confirm Restore Point Selection page click Next and then allow the system to restart.
Method 7: Reinstall drivers or replace RAM
Error code 0xc0000005 can also be triggered because of a faulty driver. In this case, the recommended fix is to reinstall all the drivers on your system. If this does not help either, you will need to manually replace your RAM as the incompatible hardware may be triggering the error message on your system.
These methods should help to resolve the Error code (0xc0000005) on your computer. If you still face the error, you are recommended to do a full check of your system hardware, make sure that all the hardware installed in your system is compatible.